Dr Vern Bowles, BAgSc, PhD
Principal Research FellowDeputy Director of CAB
Centre for Animal Biotechnology
The University of Melbourne
Vic 3010, Australia
Telephone: +61 3 8344 4439
Facsimile: +61 3 8344 7374
CAB Cellular Immunology
Hatchtech Pty Ltd
2001Present: Director of Hatchtech Pty Ltd and Senior
Research Fellow at The Centre for Animal Biotechnology, The University
of Melbourne (Australia) investigating novel control strategies against
19952001: Senior Research Fellow at The Centre for Animal
Biotechnology, The University of Melbourne (Australia) investigating
immune responses in sheep induced through vaccination.
19881995: Research fellow at The Centre for Animal Biotechnology,
The University of Melbourne (Australia) investigating immune responses
in sheep to internal and external parasites.
19831988: Doctor of Philosophy, La Trobe University,
Australia. Thesis: "Proteases of Lucilia cuprina and their
role in blowfly infections."
19791983: Bachelor of Agricultural Science (Honours),
La Trobe University, Australia.
Vern Bowles is author of over 25 articles in refereed journals and
is a member of the Australasian Society for Immunology and the Australian
Society for Parasitology.
- Novel Drug Targets
- Regulation of immune responses through vaccination
- Delivery technologies for vaccines and therapeutics
- Dr Anna Young (PhD, 1996) Lucilia cuprina: secreted products
involved in egg hatch and wound initiation.
- Dr Paul Egan (PhD, 1996) Synthesis and secretion of ovine IL-1b
- Dr Adam Balic (PhD, 1999) A novel protective antigen for sheep
- Dr Nunzio Mancuso (PhD, 2000) Designer drugs for the control of
- Dr Stuart Barber (PhD, 2005) Controlled drug delivery.
- Bowles, V.M., Meeusen, E.N.T., Young, A.R., Nash, A.D., Andrews,
A.E. & Brandon, M.R. (1996) Vaccination of sheep against larvae
of the sheep blowfly (Lucilia cuprina). Vaccine 14:13471352.
- Nash, A.D., Egan, P.J., Kimpton, W., Elhay, M.J. and Bowles, V.M.
(1996). Local cell traffic and cytokine production associated with
ectoparasite infection. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 54:269279.
- Young A, Meeusen E.N.T. and Bowles V.M. (1996). Characterisation
of ES products involved in wound initiation by Lucilia cuprina
larvae. Int J Parasitol 26:245252.
- Tellam, R. and Bowles, V.M. (1997). Control of blowfly strike
in sheep: Current strategies and future prospects. Invited review.
Int J Parasitol. 27:261273.
- Young, A.R., Mancuso, N. and Bowles, V.M. (1999). Biochemical
aspects of egg hatch in endo- and ectoparasites: potential for rational
drug design. Invited review. Int J Parasit 29:861867.
- Meeusen, ENT. Balic, A. and Bowles, V. M. (2005). Cells, cytokines and other molecules associated with rejection of gastrointestinal nematode parasites. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 108(1-2): 121-125